Monday, March 8, 2010

being present

Yesterday I was upset about something, so I decided to take a nice long walk to clear my head. I went to the greenway here in White House and it was warm and the sun was shining. As I walked, I really tried to just be present in the wonderful day and absorb the beauty and peace around me. And you know what...it worked. My mood completely changed, I felt lighter and more clear headed and ready to move on. I wonder how many prescriptions for anxiety, depression and high blood pressure we could do without if we could practice that mindfulness on a daily basis. Just living in the moment and not worrying about the past or the future but completely enjoying this particular slice of our lives. Because in the end, this is our life- all the little moments strung together. It's not some grand place we are going to get to when x, y or z happens. Our lives are right now. My life is right here in this very second, typing on my computer with some kind of mud mask on my face, wrapped in a towel still wet from the bathtub. Can I enjoy it, learn from it, be present in it without wishing for something else? I think I can. No, I think I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment