Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Getting Over It

Have you ever had a falling out with someone (a friend, boyfriend, relative) and then you hear this person has had something bad happen in their life? Let's say they get very ill, someone breaks their heart, they lose their job, have a car accident or something of the sort. And once this "thing" hits, you forget all about your distance and your anger and you just show up to help them. I think it's a great thing... but I wonder why it happens. Does it make us realize the stuff we were fighting about is pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things? Or do we decide that even though they have hurt us in some way, we still care too much about them not to be there when they need us? Is it a mark of maturity, that we can get over it, forgive and move on? I like to think so. I like to think that there are people out there who I may no longer be on the best terms with, yet one day if I really needed them, they would be there for me. Those are the kind of people I hope I've chosen to be my friends in the past despite any less-than-perfect parting.

As I face rocky relationships in the future, perhaps I will remember that not every relationship ends because one of the people in it is a bad person. Probably, they are both good people who just don't see eye-to-eye anymore and would still be there for each other if the chips were down. If I can remember this, maybe the rocky places won't be quite so rocky anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment