Monday, February 15, 2010

sideways

Have you ever wondered where some of our strange expressions come from? We say them all the time and we know the general meaning, but just vaguely. Well today I learned about one first hand. I got a little sideways. And let me tell you, it's not as fun as the popular country song makes it sound. I'll set the scene: another round of snow and slush on the ground, I wake up not expecting bad weather, running late, rushing, on the phone with my boss telling her I'll be late as I approach the intersection onto the main road when suddenly...you guessed it- I get a little sideways. "Sh*t, sh*t, sh*t", I say into the phone with my boss on the other end, as I slide into the spot who's occupant sees me coming and vacates just in time. "I'm ok, gotta go" I mutter as I hang up the phone. Yikes!

Ok, shouldn't have been talking on the phone and driving number one. I know. But isn't that just like life? You think you have it all handled, juggling all the balls, and then you hit an unseen slippery spot and WHAM you end up somewhere with a sick feeling in your gut saying "How the heck did that happen?" I ended up fine today. And I guess I've ended up fine whenever I've gotten sideways in my life. But these days I'm not prepared to settle for fine. I want super, fantastic, incredible, lovely. And for that you can't go gettin' sideways all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment