Saturday, January 9, 2010

better pictures

When television came roaring in after the war (World War II) they did a little school survey asking children which they preferred and why - television or radio. And there was this 7-year-old boy who said he preferred radio "because the pictures were better." ~Alistair Cooke

Day Nine:

Are there still "better pictures" in my imagination? I'm hoping I haven't let that particular muscle atrophy so long that it cannot be exercised back into usefulness. I saw a strange story on the news and it sparked my interest. I thought it would be great material from which to make a short story. But to this point, I haven't been able to put any meat to the bones. Perhaps I need to find my muse. Or perhaps I need to not be afraid of walking on these wobbly legs and falling down. I need to write, whether it turns out wonderfully or poorly. At least I will be writing. At least I'll be exercising the muscles of my imagination. I know 99 % of the time when I read a book and then see a movie adapted from it, I like the book better. Maybe that means my pictures are pretty good after all! But just in case, if there is a muse out there looking for work, I'm a would-be-writer in need of inspiration. So let's get together.

No comments:

Post a Comment